February 17, 2010

Black History Month

OK So This is February, Black History Month and I decided to share some of my personal history with yall....this was an important piece of my life so please enjoy. I want to reintroduce Roosevelt Franklin. Who is Roosevelt Franklin ....wellll he was The First African American Muppet! Perhaps the most famous of the retired Sesame Street Muppets is Roosevelt Franklin. O...riginally voiced by Matt Robinson, who portrayed the first Gordon on Sesame Street, Roosevelt was an African-American Muppet who had his own school (named Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School). He often taught the class important lessons about things such as the geography of Africa and how to avoid drinking poison.

Unfortunately parents wrote to the Children’s Television Workshop to complain that Roosevelt was a negative stereotype of African-American children, citing his rowdy nature and the fact that his classes closely resembled after-school detention. Roosevelt only lasted from 1970-1975, but he has appeared in many Sesame Street books. I remember watching Sesame Street when I was little and I loved all of the characters and I enjoy watching it with my grandkids now!  So enjoy these clips maybe they will bring back some memories for you too!


This next clip is just classic Sesame Street and I just added it because  Roosevelt Franklin and his mom are apart of this clip!

No comments: